Saturday 12 April 2014

Mud-wrestling in Napalm: my Battle with Veet

So this week, renowned purveyors of smelliness, chemical burns and depilation Veet caused outrage with a horrendous ad campaign that managed to be simultaneously homophobic, misogynist and transmisogynist in a mere thirty seconds. This inspired me to get around to recording this video, of my poem 'Specially Formulated for Sensitive Skin', which I shoved up on YouTube, and - cheekily, perhaps, but fuck it, they started it - on Veet's Facebook page. I did that on Wednesday night, and got up on Thursday morning expecting it would, like most of my vids, have had about 9 or 10 views during the previous night. It had actually had 68. It's not - yet - the most popular video on my channel - that remains 'The Bathroom Thing' - but it's the one that's got the most views in the shortest time so far. Evidently it struck a chord with a lot of people angry about Veet's woman-hating nonsense, which will hopefully make them think more carefully the next time they plan a campaign. Speaking for myself I don't mind it if adverts for depilatory products tell me I'll have incredibly smooth legs and look like a model if I use them, but I resent being told I look like George 'The Animal' Steele if I happen not to shave my legs now and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment