Sunday 28 August 2022

Secrecy's Jurisdiction

So I now know my next project: creating some kind of art/ritual working that will act as a banishing of what I call the KCACO egregore. But in order to do that, there's a small bit of business I need to take care of first.


That bit of business is Secrecy's Jurisdiction, the follow-up to my 2020 pamphlet England is the Enemy, a howl of rage against Brexit, the victory of the Johnson administration, and the crushing defeat of the only politics that seemed like it might have a chance of saving us. Mere weeks after the publication of this magickal artefact the novel coronavirus changed the world forever, and rendered my state-of-the-nation polemic immediately outdated into the bargain. So I started again.

Secrecy's Jurisdiction will contain many of the poems I wrote in response to the polemic, and the increasingly paranoid tenor of the Johnson administration in the age of letting the bodies pile high. I say 'will contain' because one of the bits of business I need to take care of before swinging to work on the KCACO project is to go back through the manuscript and remove any poems which now seem more like they fit with what I'm currently doing. This will give Secrecy's Jurisdiction a stronger focus on its main concern, which is to provide a map of the paranoid subconscious of Pandemic Britain. In Secrecy's Jurisdiction, the Tory party commune, through various means, with the spirit of Jimmy Savile, which ultimately winds up possessing the body of JK Rowling, who is herself revealed as a longstanding agent of The Dark Forces Who Would Rule Humanity...

Obviously you would have to be some kind of paranoid madman to believe this is really how it happened. But that doesn't mean it isn't true. 

I haven't worked out exactly what format Secrecy's Jurisdiction will take yet. I would quite like it to be physical as well as digital: England is the Enemy's digital-only existence was kind of an accident of me publishing it two weeks before the Outside World would be declared off-limits, and I would quite like to get out and see you all at, you know, actual gigs and things again, and having a physical book to hawk is always a good excuse for doing that. Equally, while I quite like the cover design at the top of this entry, I don't want the book to look too slick - I want it to have a samizdat feel befitting of its subject matter. What I do know is it will contain 19 poems, every single one of which is guaranteed to infuriate the Daily Mail in some way. Which, in my view, is the best reason for writing.

And it will be out soon, and I will do some gigs to promote it, and all that sort of stuff, and if you buy a copy at one of those gigs I will sign it for you, you know how this works. 

And once that's done, I can get down to business. 

No comments:

Post a Comment