Wednesday 2 June 2021

The Second Bathroom Thing

 What's this? A sequel?



I used to piss in the gents.

I don't mean pre-transition:


I mean, when the queue

at the British Museum 


snaked up the steps 

of the gift shop,


I put on my best style-it-out face

and strutted into the men's room


as if I was daring somebody

to tell me to leave.


Somebody told me to leave,

years later, in Waverley Station:


a cleaner. I'd already pissed

but he stopped me washing my hands,


which does not seem hygienic.

I was matter out of place, I guess,


already too dirty, something 

to be shooed. A lot of us do


it, both trans and cis, when 

the queue is too long and 


our bladder too small and

we think we can chance it,


we'll walk into the bog

with the man on the door


because signs are not magic

and we are not vampires Peter Cushing


can see off with juxtaposed 

candlesticks. And that cleaner, he


had passage to both sets of toilets 

(perhaps that was what he resented,


my usurpation of his

lavatorial warrant),


which suggests that a man bent on mayhem

(which is what you say I am)


could more easily throw on a tabard

than secure a prescription for hormones.


But you expect these signs to bind us.

You expect me to keep out


of the toilets I've queued for 

since I got the bum's rush at Waverley


Station, you want the right

to call me matter out of place.


Well, I refuse. I will claim

my right to use these cubicles


however long I have to queue,

and however much my bits ache,


and before I piss in the gents again

I will piss on your doorstep. 


No comments:

Post a Comment