Sunday 18 December 2022

In Albia


On New Year's Day I gave my heart to a land
where no more lives are ruined by royal command,
where the beast who squats on Jersey twiddling his sausage-fingered hands
is riven with frustration at a world he cannot understand
(and sharing just the one house with a family he can't stand)

I dug a hole on New Year's Day
and in that hole I gave away
my whole heart, my one heart and soul
for Albia.

On New Year's Day I dug a hole in a piece of blasted ground
and eagerly embraced the most amazing grace that I have found,
a body and a country both of which I'm proud to have around,
a nation-state of lovers, to each other each is bound
in so much more than servitude, a service most profound:

I took a vow on New Year's Day
and pledged that all my life I'll strain
my might, my very might and main
for Albia.

And every day since that day when my heart was buried deep
I make like Willie Blake and from this mental fight I will not sleep,
there are butchers bearing down on us who dearly wish that we were sheep
but at long last we are lions and the butchers we'll defeat,
knowing they can never force our revolution to retreat

and the day after we beat them
then as equals we will meet,
and we will meet,
yes we will meet
in Albia.

No comments:

Post a Comment